Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday Night

   I remember when a Saturday night spent at home meant the end of the world, a WHOLE night to pace and sigh that I was bored, a night when no book was good enough, television was lame and I was 100% sure everyone in the world was doing something better than I was. I have 3 grounded teens tonight and am reliving that moment right now.

   They pace, sigh, and moan, (actions that have led to their room being magazine photo clean and laundry being caught up for the first time since before the holidays) and I, after assigning cleaning and tasks to keep them out of my hair but also from anything remotely amusing, cracked. I swear it was worse than when I was grounded myself. I used to think as a teenager my mother must have enjoyed having me grounded because she did it often enough. There was only one of me though. These three young ladies together in one house are having a make each other miserable contest.

   I admit it they won, not by begging or batting eyelashes, there were no tears or pleas, no butt kissing, no grand gestures, just boredom. They broke me by the weight of their sheer boredom into throwing the remotes to the PS3 and cable to them like you would feed hungry wolves. They broke me into breaking out my chocolate stash and my Lovecraft novels that I usually hide from the kids. The thing that surprises me is they did it without a word, they were surprised as I was that I cracked.

  Teenagers now loathing me at least quietly and behind my back is less oppressive than the weight of their collective boredom, but to make matters worse I have now caught it! I would do just about anything to get out of the house tonight. A reason to wear make up and clothes without elastic waistbands or old rock bands on them would have me dancing in the street. I have a life and wanted to do NOTHING this Saturday, I have a gauntlet of school, work and travel work coming up that will make me long for this day to do nothing.
 
   Not only did these children defeat me they converted me, I feel like my village was destroyed and the new pagan king says my gods are dead. I will keep up a good front and hope they don't see through my facade but darn it I am so bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment